Burnt Ends are considered a delicacy in the BBQ world. They are pieces of the brisket's point, cut into chunks, sauced, re-seasoned and placed back on the smoker until they are melt-in-your-mouth tender.
When I cook brisket at competition, I like to have a full hour to create my "burnt ends" once the brisket is cooked. Click here for my complete Beef Brisket-cooking method.
I place the flat back in the foil and tent it to keep it as warm as possible.
Then I cut the point into burnt ends, toss them in the sauce, and place on the smoker. Just before turn-in time, I take the flat out of the foil and slice it.
To make the sauce, use 1 cup of bbq sauce mixed with 3 TBS of the au jus from the large aluminum pan.
Cut the brisket into the desired slices and place the slices in a small pan. In the pan you canmix 1 cup of the au jus and 1 cup of bbq sauce. This will keep the slices moist and add flavor to them.
The flat never goes back on the smoker; it stays in the foil staying moist and warm as long as possible. Putting it back in the smoker will dry it out fast.
|The Perfect Slab Of Ribs
- Ribs Competition-Style Recipe
- St. Louis vs. Baby Backs
- Finding a good butcher
- Secrets and tips - RIBS
|Slow-Smoked Pork Perfection
- Slow-Smoked Pork Butt Method
- Choosing your Shoulder or Butt
- Secrets and tips - Pulled Pork
- Shoulders for BBQ Contest Video
|How To Cook A Whole Hog
- How To Cook A Whole Hog
- 9 Steps To Cook A Whole Hog
- How We Trim Our Hog
- 7 Tips For Cooking a Whole Hog
- Injection Recipe and Video
|Award-Winning Brisket Method
- Competition-Style Beef Brisket
- How To Trim A Brisket Video
- Brisket Injection Recipe
- Beef Brisket Recipe and Method
- Brisket Cooking Tips
- Brisket Burnt Ends Recipe
|The BEST BBQ Chicken Recipe
- My Best BBQ Chicken Recipe
- Video BBQ Chicken Recipe
- Competition BBQ Sauce Recipe
- The Memphis In May Experience
- Get Started In Competition BBQ
- Competition BBQ Networks
- Building A Blind Box for KCBS
- Competition BBQ Events
- BBQ Cooking Time Line
|Grills and Equipment
- How to Build a UDS Smoker
- Smoker Facts and Tips
- Choosing the perfect Grill
- Equipment and Accessories
|More BBQ Recipes...
- Complete List of Grilling & Smoking Recipes
- BBQ Video Recipes
- How to achieve perfect BBQ texture
- The BBQ Blog Recipes and Tips