A simple injection that I use is...
Heat over medium heat until the salt and sugar are completely dissolved. Allow this mixture to cool and inject.
I use the entire amount for a whole shoulder or half for a butt. It's easier if you leave the meat in the cryovac package while injecting. Stick the meat right through the croyvac and it will "hold" most of the injection. Allow the meat to rest for an hour up to overnight.
Use a rub that has a low sugar content. To much sugar will cause the meat to produce a "black bark" and that is not what you want. I start with a rub that has salt as the main ingredient.
I've found that the salt along with proper wood smoke creates the pink "smoke ring".
It causes a chemical reaction to occur drawing the moisture out of the meat and in turn putting the other flavors from the spices and smoke deep into the meat.
A good instant read thermometer is a must have piece of equipment. When the internal temp gets to 160 degrees you need to stop adding smoke to the meat.
At this point the pours in the pork close and won't allow anymore smoke penetration. Heavy smoke after 160 internal will cause the meat to have a really bad taste. (Similar to lighter fluid)
Once the meat reaches 160 internal, I wrap the shoulders or butts in heavy duty aluminum foil. This helps "tenderize" the meat. Leave the wrapped butts/shoulders on the smoker until you reach 195 degrees internal.
Unwrap at this point and vent for several minutes. Carefully return the meat to the smoker and glaze with your sauce.
Following these tips will create the best Whole Shoulder or Butts every time.
|The Perfect Slab Of Ribs
- Ribs Competition-Style Recipe
- St. Louis vs. Baby Backs
- Finding a good butcher
- Secrets and tips - RIBS
|Slow-Smoked Pork Perfection
- Slow-Smoked Pork Butt Method
- Choosing your Shoulder or Butt
- Secrets and tips - Pulled Pork
- Shoulders for BBQ Contest Video
|How To Cook A Whole Hog
- How To Cook A Whole Hog
- 9 Steps To Cook A Whole Hog
- How We Trim Our Hog
- 7 Tips For Cooking a Whole Hog
- Injection Recipe and Video
|Award-Winning Brisket Method
- Competition-Style Beef Brisket
- How To Trim A Brisket Video
- Brisket Injection Recipe
- Beef Brisket Recipe and Method
- Brisket Cooking Tips
- Brisket Burnt Ends Recipe
|The BEST BBQ Chicken Recipe
- My Best BBQ Chicken Recipe
- Video BBQ Chicken Recipe
- Competition BBQ Sauce Recipe
- The Memphis In May Experience
- Get Started In Competition BBQ
- Competition BBQ Networks
- Building A Blind Box for KCBS
- Competition BBQ Events
- BBQ Cooking Time Line
|Grills and Equipment
- How to Build a UDS Smoker
- Smoker Facts and Tips
- Choosing the perfect Grill
- Equipment and Accessories
|More BBQ Recipes...
- Complete List of Grilling & Smoking Recipes
- BBQ Video Recipes
- How to achieve perfect BBQ texture
- The BBQ Blog Recipes and Tips
**We don't sell your information or send you anything aside from emails from me - about BBQ